Sunday, November 17, 2013

THE CRATER.....A NATURAL WONDER

I am waving from the Crater door as I watch the family get suited up to certify in scuba diving and my cute youngest grandchild\, Scott, getting some help before he dives in.
In Midway Utah at the Homestead Resort is this amazing one of a kind Natural crater....it is a geothermal spring hidden within a 55 ft. tall Beehive-shaped limestone rock.
Over 10,000 years in the making.  This crater formed when melting snow on the Wasatch mountains seeped deep within the earth.  Two miles below he surfaced, the earth's interior heated the water.  As it percolated upward, it picked up minerals which then deposited on the surface, eventually forming the volcano-shaped limestone deposit called the Homestead Crater.
The hole at the top of the dome lets in sunlight and fresh air while the interior stays heated by the mineral water at a constant range of 90-95 degrees.  It is 60 feet deep and opened to the public 1996.  A tunnel through the rock wall at ground level leads to the custom-built decks and soaking area where people can enjoy it year round.  In fact we were up there yesterday in a big snow storm.  I went up with my grandchildren to certify for a scuba diving license for their Thanksgiving trip to St Thomas.  This crater attracts many diving enthusiast's from across the country wishing to get certified in a comfortable environment.
It was a very fascinating place to me and I can't believe I've lived in Utah 60+ years and had never been into this interesting phenomenal place in my back yard.


No comments: