Tuesday, November 12, 2013

KEEP UP OR DROP OUT???

As I get older people ask me...."so what do you do to keep busy?"......Well I can tell you just transforming my vocabulary to fit in with my grandkids is a full time job.  I feel like I have two sets of words to use every day......what I used the word for when I was growing up and what my grandkids use that word for today!  Now you have to realize I grew up in the dark ages to this generation......we had wood stoves, the telephone hung on the wall and was a party line, we did have electricity, you know light bulbs........ no TV, computers or cell phones......but when the kids now days talk about  LOG ON, they don't mean....... put some wood on the fire.  LOG OFF isn't let the fire cool down.  A MONITOR now days is a noun, when I grew up you monitored the progress of the fire in the stove and that word was a verb..  DOWNLOAD, we were asked to help take the wood out of the truck and stack on the porch.  A HARD DRIVE.....was the trip to town in a snow storm on the old gravel roads that were seldom plowed.  WINDOWS were what we opened in the summer to cool off and closed in the winter to keep the cold out.  SCREENS were what we put on the doors and windows to keep out the bugs.  BYTE.....was what mosquito's did to you.  A CHIP was what we ate with a hot-dog and MICRO-CHIP was what was left in the bottom of the bag of chips.  KEYBOARD, everyone had one by the back door to hang your car keys on.  SOFT WARE was what you bought for a new baby.  A MOUSE.....an animal you set a little trap for, in the pantry, with cheese on it.  MOUSE PAD was where the mouse lived.  ENTER was how you got into your house. CLICK, what you heard when you closed something.....DOUBLE CLICK when you had to close it again.  REBOOT was when you took your boots off and then decided you had to go to the outhouse one more time before you went to bed!!!!.  Now after being told about a dozen times what these words mean now days I am really making progress in the 20th century.....however I'm still not sure about Hard Drives, Bytes, and Micro-chips?

No comments: