Sunday, July 21, 2013

LIFE IN THE MIDDLE AGES......


SO what has changed for me in the last few years????I guess I have finally come to admit I am not in my middle age......It takes a little time to accept that the world is onto us.  Seems each of us sees ourselves at a certain age, frozen in time, which explains why we still pour over the fashion magazines and current catalogs.  Sometimes it just  takes a peek in the mirror to remind us our middle age has turned into old age.  Glasses, thinning hair........ turning grey, a dozen aches and pains, a few more pounds and more naps etc. Each day we have the challenge of reinventing our selves, of course a little magical thinking helps.  There is no way at 81 I can be in my middle age that would be I'd have to live to 162, and I can't promise I can do that!
In Gail Godwin's novel "The Finishing School" one thought impressed me.  "There are two kinds of people.....One kind, you can tell just by looking at them at what point they congealed into their final selves.  It might be a very nice self, but you know you can expect no more surprises from it.  Whereas, the other kind keeps moving, changing. With these people, you can never say "X stops here," or 'Now I know all there is to know about Y".......this indicates they keep moving forward and making new trysts with life, and the motion of it keeps them young, they are fluid.  They are really still alive."  Last year I did four cruises and a week in Mexico........this year, no so much traveling and very content,  Ahhh, but I have such fond memories of the MIDDLE AGES!
Got Marley and Izzey again for a few days, Marley takes very good care of me........he doesn't care if I am middle aged or not!

No comments: