Monday, June 3, 2013

THE "GREEN THING"......

Yes, I guess I came from the "Olden Days"...... but my kids and grand kids have no idea how far we have come since I was hatched in 1932;   Yes, check out how the bathing suits have changed!  I am not into carrying my own bags to shop so I am accused of not doing the "green thing"....The younger generation accuse my generation of not caring enough to save the environment for future generations!  HELLO.....our generation might not have had the "green thing" going but what this generation does not know is;  In my day we returned our glass milk bottles, soda bottles (could get a penny or two for them) and beer bottles to the store.  The store sent them back to the dairy or plant where they came from where they we were sterilized and refilled and used again!  We called it recycling. Brown paper bags were used for garbage bags or to cover school books.....keeping them nice to pass on from year to year.  We were taught reading, writing, and arithmetic. We had gym and developed good sportsmanship.  We used the stairs, we walked where we wanted to go and never jumped into a 300-horse powered machine to go 2 blocks saving gas and clean air......but no we didn't have a "green thing."  We washed our babies diapers......didn't throw them in the trash.  We dried our clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts.  The wind and solar power actually dried our clothes back then.  No closets full of clothing, we all went through the hand-me-down things until they were worn out. Back then one radio per home.....no TV.  In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand....no electric machines to do everything for us.  To cut a lawn, you pushed the mower with man power.......no engines to burn up gas and leave fumes.  Thirsty? water in a glass from the faucet or hose, no fancy bottles of water to dispose of later.  We refilled our pens with ink, not buy new ones.  We put new razor blades in the razor, not throw it away.  Kids rode bikes or walked.....no 24 hour taxi service from Mom's $45,000 SUV or Van.  One electrical outlet in each room.  We didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint!  This generation doesn't have a clue that its own greed for "stuff" is using up the resources they so revere.  Young people know little about doing for themselves.....using ingenuity and resource fullness and just plain physical energy as we did.  BUT then...what can a thoughtless---"Ungreen" old person teach a tattooed, multiple pierced, iPod carrying smart-ass who can't give you back your change without something to calculate it for them?  No, I've got some of those green-bag things, but when you get old you forget a lot of things and I always forget to take them back to the store with me.....so I just say "suck it up cup-cake"....I am what I am.....Old. 

No comments: