Tuesday, June 11, 2013

HISTORY.......

Had a fun night with my youngest grandson, Scottie.  I love having him over and we even jumped into the pool for a quick swim this morning before his mother picked him up.
Old pictures from history are starting to appear......even before my time, and I don't think they should be lost to the next generation. I intend to keep looking for them! Take a look at the picture of the head of the Statue of Liberty. For some reason I had in my mind this big statue on a boat being floated from France to the U.S.  Not so.....France shipped the statue in 350 individual pieces and packed in 214 crates.  They reassembled it on a new pedestal created by the U.S. in four months.  It was dedicated October 28, 1886.
The Statue of Liberty National Monument officially celebrated her 100th birthday on October 28, 1986.  The people of France gave the statue to the people of U.S. over 100 years ago in recognition of the friendship established during the American Revolution.  Over the years, the Statue of Liberty symbolism has grown to include freedom and democracy as well as this international friendship.
I have visited New York several times and seeing Miss Liberty is always a must. So many wonderful stories about her and the thrill of the people first sailing into America knew she meant freedom.  Pam and Rob climbed to the top up the many winding steps inside.  Yes, tell your kids about her.

No comments: