Thursday, March 7, 2013

WEARING PURPLE........

Yep, that's me.....wearing purple.  A few years ago I was regularly going to the Olympus Senior Center.  I was loving my Spanish classes, enjoying the lectures and craft classes.  My good friend Norma and I were put up to be on the Board of Directors and both won.  I was over the parties and activities and so enjoyed it.  Norma and I did the garage sales, took the seniors on outings (you know the Heber Creeper ride and Redd Butte gardens etc.  The Saturday night dances were a hoot, always had a good turn out.  Norma and I took the money, passed out the door prizes and danced with the single old (my age) men that always showed up! Always looking for new activities Norma and I decided to start a RED HATS GROUP.  It was a great success.  Once a month we carted in tea cups, tea pots, tea bags and sweets for a couple dozen little old ladies.  After awhile we decided to all go to lunch and have a speaker. Of course, I headed down to the DI (Desert Industry) and get me an  outfit???? Oh my!  I am no longer active at the center but read in their bulletins that the Red Hats are still meeting at Chuck-a-Rama or the Golden Corral. I am proud of that and then I found the poem call "Warning".....immediately got rid of that outfit.
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple.....With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.  And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves.....And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.  I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired....And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells.....And run my stick along the public railings....And make up for the sobriety of my youth.  I shall go out in my slippers in the rain....And pick the flowers in other people's gardens....And learn to spit. You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat......But now we must have clothes that keep us dry.....And pay our rent and not swear in the street.....and set a good example for our children, But maybe I ought to practice a little now?  So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised....When sudden I am old, and start to wear purple.  (don't even own anything purple now days....or a red hat!)

No comments: