Saturday, April 11, 2015

THE WHY'S IN MY LIFE.......

Can't believe I have been in my new home two weeks ago today......it is looking good and I am so tired I can hardly move.......As I wade through all my clothes and things getting settled I ask myself "WHY"......why do I have so many shoes?  Why do I have so many coats?  Why do I have so many watches?  I just thought I was greedy or had a fetish, but as I think back on my life......I think it is deeper and much more a part of me.
My first wrist watch was from my parents when I graduated from High School when I was 18 years old.   I t was a beautiful rose gold with two red rubies on each side of it.....quite "elegant"......I was proud of it and still have it. Watches were expensive in those days (1950).....and there really didn't seem a need for one I guess.  Now days they are a dime a dozen and everyone has several.  I am glad I had to wait until I was 18......I really appreciated it and did not take it for granite.  Several of my friends had a watch, but not the majority of kids.. I love watches, in all their bright colors and funky styles....Of course, I am more aware of time and how important the minutes and hours left in my life are....I will always remember the thrill of owning my first watch from my parents....It was very special as a first time watch or anything should be when your 18.
And the whys of shoes.....well, growing up during war time each person was allotted one shoe stamp every six months and you had one pair of shoes and one only!!!!! Mine were usually saddle shoes or loafers and you polished them up for Sunday school and ......that was that.  And as for the coats......you had one....and it was usually a hand down or sometimes  were made by my mother.....not to exciting.......I guess that taught me it's not what you have in your life.....but who you have in your life.....that counts most!
Tending the Pannier's dogs this weekend while they are in Moab.

No comments: