Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mama Teddy


After a very sad day yesterday, I have to think of something happy and uplifting. I turn to things that last forever........good memories. This is a picture of Mama Teddy. She has been in my family for 70 years. She sits nicely where ever you put her and has been loved by me, my girls and now my grandchildren. She came into my life one Christmas. I had been to Denver for Thanksgiving and in the Walgreen Drugstore by my aunts were all these wonderful, big, plush stuffed Teddy Bears in all kinds of colors. I fell in love and all I wanted for Christmas that year was a big Teddy Bear. Well, Christmas morning there was a big, black Teddy Bear with a red bow, and a middle sized bear for my next sister and a little bear for my baby sister........BUT they were home made! I'm afraid I was less than thankful and happy and showed it. We had very little money and I had a very talented mother who found three old fur coats and made her three girls bears. To make it worse, my cousin who is nine days younger than me, an only child, who lived in the near by town came to Grandma's for dinner with her new beautiful bear that I had so wanted. Well I still have my bear with it's felt eyes and lumpy body and she is still giving love to the grandchildren, but my cousins beautiful bear is long gone. It just goes to show that it is not what's on the outside that counts, but all the love that went into making it that lasts. I now appreciate the thought and love my mother gave me all those years ago, she did all she could to make my dream come true.......thank you Mom.

1 comment:

Betty said...

THANK YOU FOR READING MY BLOG, i DO WISH I COULD READ YOUR COMMENT. I WILL TRY AND FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN READ IT FOR ME.