Friday, August 6, 2010

Why Does Popcorn Pop?


As my blog is named "I didn't Know That?" I am always anxious to be learning something new. How many times a day do you hear or read something that is new to you? I think we never stop having "a need to know". When we do we die..........So many, many things to learn out there like, "Why Does Popcorn Pop?" Well, it is a corn called flint corn, it has small hard kernels that contain only a small amount of soft starch. Each kernel has a moisture content of about 13.5 percent. The kernels contain a food storage layer known as the endosperm. This tough, elastic layer resists the buildup of steam pressure with the kernel when heated. When the temperature reaches a critical point, around 400 degrees, the kernel expands up to thirty-five times its original size and the endosperm violently ruptures. Wow, popcorn! now you know. Do you know the first pencil sharpener was invented by a French mathematician named Bernard Lassimone, who patented the device in 1828?
We all have our favorite color M&Ms, do they taste different? Do different colored M&M's have different flavors? The company assures us, that all colors have identical flavoring. The colors are browns, yellows, red, orange, tan and green. Recently added blue. My favorite is brown......
I am researching many of my questions and will pass them on to you regularly, then we will all know........ Sherrie and Brayden get home tonight......I have been sooooo lonesome.

No comments: