Thursday, April 22, 2010

"I promise......to never remodel again!"


This is what I think my poor head looks like inside...........If stress had a picture this is what is going on inside of me. I keep telling myself, "Now Betty, remember your Wabi-Sabi lesson of finding the beauty in imperfection or the good in the bad." Part of me is trying to do this as the other part is not going along with it completely.
I know I'm not the only person in the world who decided to do some remodeling in their home, but that should be for young, ambitious, flexible people, not for the old who likes things nice and tidy.
I got through the part of deciding on the cupboard material, door fronts, hardware for them, and the granite counter top, the sink faucet, picking out a new microwave and garbage disposal, (still working on the back splash), but I did this because my sweet daughter took me by the hand and helped me through it.
Then we needed a plumber because the old, old plumbing would not turn off. Monday we took care of that, Tuesday Five very large people came in and had the old cabinets out in a couple of hours. We.......well not really we, my sweet granddaughter and her fiance volunteered to paint before the installers came Wednesday and my son-in-law came in to plaster all the holes. Got most of the painting done on schedule, then Wednesday was a complete loss because of the weather. Thursday at nine was the new due date. The boss arrived at 9:30.........he and I stood around staring at the blank kitchen, finally I got a magazine and he got out his Ipod thingy to play games while we waited for the cabinets to arrive.......... at 11:00 a truck load was stashed in the kitchen and everyone took off to get another load! I figured they would take an hour for lunch and we would be back at it by 1:00 at the latest. Wrong! At 3:30 they showed up with another load and finally showed some interest in making things happen. By then I have had my lunch, ( a piece of cold pizza, cottage cheese, salsa and chips and finished off my pot of coffee, I have plugged in, in the bathroom). I have found in the past that writing helps my stressful times so I decided to write this all down. I even went as far as to text my daughter and see if I could borrow one of Charles ( her dog's ) pills for my stress. She remodeled and reminded me she warned me if they say three weeks, that means six to handle all the delay. They just informed me my floor isn't level..........and I'm thinking O.K. at least they are here working on it. Remember look for the good in with the bad. My daughter in Vernal called to cheer me up and reassured me this to will pass and it would be worth it. I am learning patience.

No comments: