Saturday, February 8, 2014

Chapter #28...around the world

Russia.......so many beautiful pictures of this very interesting country. Downtown St. Petersburg is crowded with splendid palaces, impressive historical monuments, tree-lined avenues and beautiful bridges.  I found St. Petersburg to be a city crammed with historical and cultural stuff and a refined air of mystery.  My favorite memory and favorite place by far was the Hermitage Museum.....one of the largest and most impressive art collections in the world......founded on the collections of Empress Catherine the Great!  It is housed in the magnificent Baroque Winter Palace on  the Neva river.  You need many hours to see and enjoy it all.  We also peeked into a set which portrayed the famous Notradamas and his terrible history.  So, so interesting.  I loved the shopping, bright scarves, stacked dolls and interesting jewelry and intricate little boxes.
This week the 2014 Winter Olympics are being held in Sochi Russia and President Putin really out did himself on the Opening Ceremonies last night........I loved my visit to Russia, but must admit I am content to watch the Olympic from my nice safe home......

No comments: