Monday, August 29, 2011

AMENITY.....



Amenity: Quality of being pleasant or agreeable; civility; suavity. An act, pursuit, civility, feature or the like, expressive of , or conductive to pleasantness or smoothness of social intercourse.


Grandmother warned, "Always remember the amenities." I had no idea what this meant. I eventually thought she meant when you went to the hotels, to always take home the little soaps, shampoo and lotion bottles they set out. You know the amenities or extras for the comfort of your stay. Well, that is not exactly what she had in mind. When grandma said "Always remember the Amenities" she followed it by no matter what kind of bad things happen in your life, you can hold your head up high, if you "Observe the Amenities."

If I could teach my children and grandchildren one lesson I have learned in my almost eighty years of life, it would be......."Observe the Amenities" and go on to explaine the amenities are gestures of civility performed in this very uncivilized world, small acts of kindness to let others know that their lives are noticed and their presence valued. Reach out every day to your loved ones, neighbors, friends and even complete strangers, extend your hand to give some small gesture of your caring.

I also feel some of the amenities of my life are the beautiful mountains I live near, the sunsets on the Great Salt Lake, the sun and moon, flowers and birds of my area. Yes, I will always "observe the amenities" as long as I live!

No comments: