Wednesday, August 3, 2011

GIVING THE GIFT OF HERITAGE



This is Scottie Cook my youngest grandchild. I can become the bridge between the past and the present and help my children and grandchildren know they are part of something bigger than themselves. Whenever you give a gift, contemplate possible gifts of heritage you might give your family. I still love the old fashion rule of writing letters. Write each child and tell them what you did as a child when you were their age, or tell them stories about your parents and grandparents and their influence on your life. You can prepare photo albums as gifts for grandchildren, always label who the pictures are of. Write your life history, make a copy for each child. Share experiences of mutual ancestors and the origins of their family lineage by compiling pedigree charts, written histories, life stories, and the stories of any family "treasures" in your keeping. Giving gifts that link the past and the present can help to bring continuity to a family. It has been said "Without the past, there is no future." Share with your children a sense of their roots, and of belonging-things that are important in this changing world. A my age I treasure all the family pictures and histories of my past. For the past three days I have had Kennedy with me as he went to a speech program. He is a delight and I think this is helping a lot. The girls will be home from LA tomorrow, after a couple days break. Pam and Rob are off to Minnesota to visit Nicci and see her he puppy "Oliver."

No comments: