Monday, May 10, 2010

OLD OUT - NEW IN


I have always said, "The only reason I have a kitchen is it came with the house." I'm not into food and I have never cared much for cooking, unless it is to entertain. So with the help of a wonderful family they helped me through the remodeling. I think I had been watching too much TV on how to remodel your house in two days or Ty Pennington building a whole house in a week. Any way before I knew it the family thought it was a good idea and I was launched. After they measured the kitchen and designed the cupboards Karrie and I picked out the "slab of granite", I knew I wanted black until I saw a gorgeous piece of blue and white, but it was way out of my budget, so back to the black slabs. We began the rounds of picking out a faucet, the hardware for the cupboards and the tile for the back splash. I picked out the new microwave, garbage disposal and new counter TV. My family was there from the start. Tiffany and her fiance, Scott, painted the kitchen and entry hall after they tore out the cupboards. Rob filled all the holes and leveled the back splash. A plumber came Monday night and unhooked the sink, garbage disposal, dishwasher and ice maker. Tuesday they came and tore out the cupboards and were to be back Wednesday to start installing the new ones but it was so rainy they canceled. Thursday they delivered and started putting up the cupboards and finished Friday. They hoped to install the granite counters Saturday, but as usual they got behind and they were installed Monday. Rob and Will came over put in the new Microwave and Rob said he and Scott could do the tile back splash. So Karrie and I got busy picking out the tile we thought would wow them. Rich helped lay out the patterns we had in mind and we finally decided what would work. Rob and Scott jumped right in and soon they had a very professional looking tile job complete. After watching how hard they worked with Tiff's help I now do not begrudge tilers their fees. Karrie and I had made the rounds looking for a new dishwasher and fridge and they were delivered Tuesday, two week from the day they tore out my kitchen. Sweet Rob (what a son-in-law), came over with Will to hook up the ice maker and dishwasher. The dishwasher was a real pain. Tiff helped me put up my blue and white ware on top of the cupboards and today I finally found a place in my new cupboards for everything I kept the family from telling me I didn't need anymore!!!!! I love my new kitchen and am so lucky to have a family that believes ,"It Takes The Whole Family To Remodel A Grandmother's kitchen."

No comments: