Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Hug a Tree.....


Well, she did it again. The Condo Manager cut down another big, beautiful tree today. It was on the corner across the street from me and the birds and quail loved it. Ever since I moved in she and I have had words over cutting down the trees in our unit. She finally cut down all the trees in the entry because she wanted them to match. She cut down a fruit tree in my back yard when I was on a trip once, and I made her buy another so I would have some privacy from the tennis court........it died. There were two huge pine trees on my street and she has taken one down but I am fighting for the one in front of my house. Yes, it is kinda messy with pine cones and pine needles off and on, but what do we pay the maintenance men for. She keeps telling me it is going to fall on my house one of these days. I love it, in the summer when I open my window I am awakened to the chirpping and singing of the birds. It seems to me, if it is not a tree she choose then down it comes, of course we are all paying for the removal. One of the fun things I always did as I traveled around the world the past 50 years is "hug a tree". I can hug in any language and trees are so in tune with the universe. They send their roots deep into the earth and reach high into the sky. They share their shade, their fruit, their lumber, the joy of climbing or swinging on them for children. They really don't ask for much. Even the trees that have grown old and gnarly can be beautiful. So I pledge to the universe to start planting trees so my grandchildren and their children will have many trees to enjoy. "Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree"!


No comments: