Monday, January 9, 2012

AGING



This picture of my mother brings home so many memories. I never felt she was old. When she died at 58, after three years of cancer her hair was no longer dark, it had come in white and curly. But somehow I just never labeled her old. Have you ever conversed with someone who is getting on in years, someone who has torn so many pages off the calendar that their recent history is a blur, rendering them barely able to remember what they had for breakfast this morning? I am not quite there yet and when you ask me about the good ole days, instantly the years dissolve, clarity returns and I begin recounting the wonderful years of high school, college and being a stewardess in vivid details. I decided not to think "old" no matter how many birthdays I have so my kids and grandkids .......will have the imagine of a "kinda young" grammy.

"As you age, you realize you can be happy in the present. You don't have to wait. It's something you cultivate by paying attention to what's in your life right now."

Feeling better today, thankgoodness.

No comments: