Thursday, March 17, 2011

A GOOD DAY

Today is St. Patrick's Day and the Panniers 32nd wedding anniversary! They have given me three wonderful grandchildren and many happy memories. I wish them at least another 50............She has beat her parents marriage by two years!

I must dig out my green sweater I guess and celebrate this St Patrick's Day. St Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland is one of Christianity's most widely known figures, but for all his celebrity, his life remains somewhat a mystery. There are many stories about him passed on thru the ages, mostly false even the ones about him banishing all the snakes from Ireland.. St Patrick's Day has been celebrated as a holiday over 1000 years. Why green, why shamrocks and why leprechauns? To the early Celts the shamrock was a sacred plant in ancient Ireland because it symbolized the rebirth of spring. The Irish wore one as a symbol of their pride in their heritage. The big meal corn beef and cabbage was initiated in New York by the Irish in our country who put a cheaper, corn beef, with their favorite cabbage because it was cheaper than the expensive bacon originally used. The cheerful, friendly leprechaun is a purely American
invention which was quickly evolved into a symbol of St. Patrick's Day and Ireland. I spent a week driving on the wrong side of the road in Ireland and loved the country and customs. The bogs, the Waterford Crystal factory and of our group I was the only one to "Kiss the Blarney Stone" and got a certificate for it! Must admit it wasn't easy, you laid on your back with someone holding your feet and was dangled over the edge to "the stone" in this old castle. When I was younger I was determined to do it ALL.........I loved their fisherman knit sweaters, still have mine! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: