Friday, September 5, 2008

Grandkids and staying young.......

Another month of great things in my life. Today Karrie and I went to lunch at the Willow Creek
Country Club .......they are having the PGA Golf tournament in her back yard and belonging to
the Club entitled us to lunch. Fun, Fun. Tonight I'm off to watch my oldest grandson ,who is the
Captain of his football team, play another exciting football game. Last week they won. In the
morning I will be off to watch my youngest grandson (6) play soccor, nothing more exciting! AND THEN........at 1:30, it will be another football game to watch my 14 year old grandson play.
What a lucky grandmother I am. My children and grandchildren refuse to let me get OLD......
Which makes me contemplate the follow piece I read:
Youth is not a time of life---it is a state of mind. It is not a matter of ripe cheeks, red lips and supple knees; (I have chubby knees). It is a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a
vigor of the emotions; it is a freshness of the deep spring of life.
Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite of ad-
venture over love of ease. This often exists in a person of fifty more than in a person of twenty.
Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years; people grow old by deserting their ideals. Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkels the soul. Worry, doubt, selfish trust, fear and despair - these are the long, long years that bow the head and turn the growing spirit back to dust.
Whether seventy or sixteen or seventy-six, there is in every being's heart the love of wonder,
the sweet amazement at the stars and the star like things and thoughts, the undaunted challenge
of events, the unfailing childlike appetite for what next, and the joy and the game of life.
You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.
In the central place of your heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage, grandeur and the power from the earth, from men and from the Infinite, so long are you young. This I believe...........
When the wires are all down and all the central place of your heart is covered with the snows
of pessimism and the ice of cynicism, then are you grown old indeed and may God have mercy on your soul.
I thank my children for giving me a cell phone, (so they can keep track of me)....Ipod, so I can
look IN, Digital Camera (that I have finally learned to print out pictures at Target and recharge
the battery) and a lap top Computer (that I will learn to use or die trying and if my granddaughter doesn't give up on me first!) No, I will not get old.........thanks to a great family.

No comments: